We reading books!
READ.SHARE.CONNECT.REPEAT

Definitions help needed, and what else did Gandhi do?

Author: Mohandas Karamchand (Mahatma) GandhiPublished: 1993-11-01
robert

Definitions help needed, and what else did Gandhi do?

Postby robert » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:07 pm

The story of Gandhi's life is interesting but there are many assumptions made about the knowledge of the reader. In the early 1900s when he wrote it (not in English) I imagine the readers must have understood all these things, but nearly a century later on the other side of the world in a vastly different culture I could use some help. Here's what I came up with from the context, but I would appreciate it if someone could provide more details:

Swaraj: from the context of the book it seems this could be "freedom" or something similar
Hartal: some kind of political movement?
Khadi: this seems like it could be an area of India, an article of clothing, or a movement of people.
Satyagraha: it seems that Gandhi made this up as a way to describe non violence
Darshan: is this worship?
Panda: some type of servant or bed and breakfast owner in India?

In the farewell epilogue at the end Gandhi says "My life from this point onward has been so public that there is hardly anything about it that people do not know." Based on the dates mentioned in the following paragraph I assume he finished writing this around 1928. But honestly I purchased and read this book to learn more about the things Gandhi probably did later in his life. Can someone recommend another book which tells the rest of the story? There are several to choose from and I want to get it right this time. :)

Return to “Gandhi: An Autobiography - The Story of My Experiments With Truth”